Gear Prep Technician
1 Feb 2019. Casual position available. Starting ASAP.
Do you love working with camera gear? If so, we'd love to hear from you!
Offshoot Rentals is looking for a casual gear prep technician who loves working with motion and stills photography equipment, and who understands how important it is for customers to get gear they can rely on.
You must be available for regular weekday casual work, approximately 2-4 days per week. Shifts will be rostered up to a month in advance, but there will also be some last minute call-ins for busy days and to cover illness etc. More hours will also be available when full-time staff are on leave.
This is a role for someone who enjoys the technical side of the industry more than the creative side. As a prep tech, you will be ensuring equipment is checked and tested to Offshoot’s high standards before and after each hire.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Taking phone, email and in-person enquiries from customers about the range of gear we stock and how they might use it for their productions.
- Using our custom-built web app to check equipment availability and to make, prepare and manage bookings.
- Demonstrating gear to customers and assisting with tests as required.
- Assisting during gear checks to ensure a complete, working kit is sent out.
- Contacting customers to discuss damaged and missing items and then following procedures to ensure replacements & repairs are organised.
- Keeping on top of spare parts and reporting when additional spares need to be ordered.
To be the successful applicant for this job you will need to be mechanically minded with excellent communication skills. The following attributes and experience are also required:
- Customer service experience is essential.
- A solid foundation in stills and motion equipment. Training will be provided, but you need to have a good background in the basics with real life experience.
- A genuine interest in understanding how stuff works and explaining it to others.
- Excellent time management and attention to detail.
- A strong work ethic.
- Superior communication skills.
Prior experience as a prep tech or camera assistant would be helpful, but isn't essential if you can demonstrate technical competence and have a great attitude when it comes to learning.
Your wage will be negotiated based on your experience.
Start date is ASAP.
What You Can Expect Working At Offshoot Rentals
- Get hands-on with a broad range of equipment and develop the ability to troubleshoot pretty much anything!
- Work with a small, friendly close-knit team who are all passionate about film & photography.
- Doggy cuddles with Max, the office dog, a 44kg Akita.
- Your suggestions and ideas heard - regular meetings with management and multiple channels for daily communication within the workplace.
- Opportunities for promotion and greater responsibility.
How To Apply
Please send us your resume and cover letter in PDF format.
In your cover letter let us know:
- Why you think your skills would be a good match for this role.
- What equipment you’ve had experience with from our range.
- Your availability during the week.
- Hobbies and interests outside of work.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org marking it for the attention of Grace.